Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ready...set...GO!

Okay, so I'm at work, and who knows when I will be interrupted (curse people and their need to buy tickets...can't they let me procrastinate in peace???!!!)

I promised you the story about how we got engaged, so here is the story:

It was Wednesday, I was feeling slightly disheveled, and slightly down, so I was spending my down time with the one person that always seems to be able to make the world make sense: my Jeff...


We were sitting on his couch, trying to decide if we wanted to go to dinner or do something else, and he says, "Hey, do you want to go for a walk?" I sat up and said, "Well yeah, but we will have to go soon since I have class in 45 minutes." He tells me to go put some "real" shoes on (I guess my white ballet flats wouldn't do.)

I went up to my apartment, got on some shoes and went back down to Jeff's. His roommate Brian was sitting on the couch. He told me Jeff had left for a few minutes, but he would be back shortly. He was laughing and commented on how Jeff never ceases to amaze him. I believe the words, "You think you know a guy." Were spoken. We talked about dating, romance, and marriage. He asked if Jeff and I had talked about marriage yet. I responded quickly with the truth. We had, but it had never been in a hypothetical "IF we were married" sense it had always been "When I get married" (or in my case I always used "If I'm ever lucky enough to get married.") Brian laughed, I gave him my confused face.

Jeff came back....30 minutes until class...I asked if he still wanted to go for a walk. He said, "Yes, don't worry, I will have you back in time for class." I smiled up at him (he's 6 feet tall and I'm 5'5"...I always have to look up at him, unless I'm looking down at him...which is a rare/odd occurrence) He took my hand and we started walking. He asked me where I wanted to go. I told him that he had invited me on the walk, so he should decide where we were going.

We ended up walking to the Institute. We played a game of pool. We did this all within 10 minutes...I was very proud of us. He asked if we should rack up again. I said that I had to be to class in 20 minutes so it probably wasn't a good idea. He took my hand, and said, "Okay, but I still want to walk, I promise I will have you back in time for class." I smiled and let him lead me. We walked towards the trail to get up to the pillars at ISU. (The harder trail) We made it up rather quickly...again I was impressed, but I had 15 minutes until class started and I knew it would take atleast 10 to get back to the apartment. Jeff apologized and said he didn't think he would have me back in time for class. I shrugged my shoulders...I just kept thinking, well if we leave in the next few minutes I might just make it. We stood on the top of the hill next to the pillars and looked out at the valley and the university buildings below. I kept waiting for Jeff to say that it was time to go, but he stood there, looking around. I pointed out a few things in the distance, hoping he would say something, ANYTHING but he just stood there, looking around nervously.

A woman came up the hill and joked about needing a shuttle to get back down. She began taking pictures of the skyline. Both Jeff and I laughed...I looked down at my clock on my cell phone...10 minutes...I wrapped my arms around my Jeff's waist and said, "Come on babe. We should go." I said this, and the next thing I knew, Jeff was down on one knee with a giant ring...it had to be fake...he had to be joking...over and over again he had said how he wanted to wait a long time before he got married...I had believed him...but then again, he had also been continuously telling me that I was doomed for the last 2 weeks (doomed is Jeff's way of saying people are engaged) I had always just laughed and gone about my business when he said it, because he hadn't said HE was doomed. He said, "Will you marry me?" I looked down at him, I'm sure there was a mixture of fear and confusion in my eyes. "Babe, are you serious? You're joking, right? This is a joke? Are you serious? Are you?" I babbled that phrase or something similar to it for a few minutes and he stayed on his knee like a trooper...finally I let out a confused, "Okay??" He got up and threw the ring off the side of the hill...He WAS joking...I didn't know how to feel. If this was a joke, it was a pretty crummy joke...and if he thought I was going to go hunt for my ring, he had another thing coming..."I hate you." Pure and simple, these were the words that came out of my mouth.

Jeff laughed, got down on one knee again and pulled out another ring...something more along the lines of what I would have wanted...simple, but beautiful. An exquisite circle cut diamond solitaire with a white gold band. "Will you marry the man behind the ring?" He asked, I looked at him and said, "Are you being serious this time?" He nodded...I started to feel tears welling up in my eyes. I said yes, I said yes 3 times before he finally got up and put the ring on my finger. I see a flash in my peripheral, the lady that was taking pictures of the skyline was now taking pictures of us. She was a friend of Jeff's, he asked her to be there to take pictures of us getting engaged. Through half tears, I smiled and kissed and smiled and kissed, and giggled uncontrollably.

He said, "I told you that I had a plan that would make you hate me."

I just continue to tell him that it wasn't for long, and that it was a loving hate...

So...here we are...after discussion and pondering, we both decided that we didn't want to wait until Christmas break, we didn't want a wedding hanging over our heads during finals...and more importantly, we love eachother...we know that we want to spend forever together...so why delay the inevitable and risk running into trouble along the way?

Long story short...I didn't make it to class that night...

Hugs and loves until next time darlings!

November 20, 2010 is the big day...and it can't come fast enough!

3 comments:

Tenise said...

Hooray! Such a sweet story, but WHAT a stinker!! I saw the pictures on facebook, so I'm happy to hear what actually happened! Haha. So excited for you guys, and way to do it! We got engaged on Sept. 27, and married Nov. 19, and it was such a great time frame for an engagement. Long enough to get things done, and short enough to not get crazy! lol.

Congratulations!

The White House said...

Love the story! He has a twisted sense of humor, but at least he wasn't entirly joking!
Sooner than later is always better. Brady called it limbo while we were engaged. Your lives just stop (even though there are a million things to do). I hope everything goes smoothly for you. Wish we could be up there to share that happy day. Love Ya girl.

Michael's Home! said...

Brittany, I don't know if you remember me Tyrion Brady. I just wanted to congratulate you. You sound happy and I am so glad you have found the one you want to be with forever.