Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Mom's Sick Days...

I never can remember my mom being sick until I hit my teens...she must have been pretty good at hiding it. Maybe it was just that she was constantly encouraging us to use our imaginations and get outside- we were having so much fun, she could lay down and we wouldn't pay much attention...maybe she was a wonder woman who never felt ill until all of her children were well through junior high....I'm thinking it may have been the latter...

In any case...these last few days have made me even more grateful for my dear mother.  Monday I felt GROSS-but I had to go teach that master class.  It ended up being successful and I got a job offer out of it...but it definitely left me at a disadvantage for the last couple of days following it because I definitely overdid it.  When you're in front of a group of 40 teenage girls you have to be larger than life and willing to put on a show... nevermind the fact that you're almost 9 weeks pregnant, and had to make sure you knew where the nearest bathroom was as you navigated through the halls of this GIANT school...better put on your game face and prepare to sprinkle diva dust (the good kind that makes high school kids idolize you...)...

Of course I came home and crashed...so when Tuesday rolled around it took every ounce of strength i could muster to pull myself out of bed...I had to clean my house...morning sickness or not.  Once again I overdid it...cleaned both bathrooms, vacuumed and dusted the living room and dining room, put a load of dishes in the dishwasher, and did 3 loads of laundry. I was very grateful when Jeff came home to say the least...

Today's plan didn't go as planned...I finally got my kitchen scrubbed down, but that was the extent of my work for the day.  Today I've been content to spend the larger part of my day in bed watching episodes of Happy Days at cbs.com...oh Richie Cunningham...Fonzie...you slay me...

Long story short...when moms take a sick day how do things get done?  The truth that I'm starting to learn: mom never can take a true sick day...I was fortunate today because the Little Diva is so young she is content to hang out in mom's bed all day long...and while I didn't do my whole usual Tuesday routine, diapers still needed changing, bottles still needed to be made, baby needed to be tickled, loved and snuggled, story time still needed to happen (We made it through 4 chapters of The Tale of Desperaux before princess was tired of sitting up in mommy's lap), and Singamajigs needed to be played (they are AMAZING...I highly recommend them)... in short...moms can take a break from their usual routines, but you never get a sick day from being a mom...

Mom, I love you...thanks for all the sick days you didn't take so that I could have story time, game time, and snuggle time.  When you're a mom, you have a whole new appreciation for what your mom did for you...

P.S. > Don't think for 2 seconds that all the Little Diva does is play, eat and sleep... she is also quite nifty when it comes to laundry...or atleast she tries to be...
Watch the pro at work!

If you can't fold...chew...




See... as she tried to figure out this whole "folding" trick, she only got a little bit of drool on the freshly laundered shirt...how thoughtful!

Here she is imagining she is a drooling masked avenger...or she just thought it was funny that mommy threw a shirt on her head...either way Tyra should be proud of those "smeyes," America's Next Top Model, here we come!
Hugs, clean laundry, and loves until next time darlings!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Isn't it great fun to be a mom? Yeah - haven't had a true sick day in almost 7 years. Just wait until your hubby gets sick when you already are sick. Most men lay around and whine about how cruddy they feel and how they want you to get anything and everything for them.
Truthfully, though, I have noticed quite the gift this year. When all 4 of my family has gotten the flu (twice!) along with their normal colds and sinus crap, I have only gotten a slight cold. The Lord truly blesses those who are doing His work and tending His children (whether they be 2 or 28). :)
Love ya lots! Hope you are feeling better!