Tuesday, July 15, 2008


Okay- so I've spent the last four days in a nausea induced haze, and I'm not quite out of it yet, but I felt like I needed to blog a little bit about the joys of being sick...

So, Friday I started to feel a little woozy after lunch- I ate some rotten lettuce (Note to self: if it tastes rotten after the first bite, chances are its rotten... just thought you should know!) But I was super excited so I decided nothing would get me down. I was going to go to the 35th anniversary performance of Saturday's Warrior at the Civic. But wait, there's more- not only were they performing Saturday's Warrior...they were also performing the sequel the White Star. I was so excited to go and take part in something I'd grown up with- my mom had a Saturdays Warrior tape and we used to listen to it and lip synch to it as kids. I think more kids should do this growing up! The television was rarely on, we always had on one of my mom's records or tapes and we were coming up with a show! Saturday's Warrior was one of the faves- along with Star Child (another Mormon musical) and a few secular goodies- Mary Poppins soundtrack, The Carpenters and Ray Stevens the Streak! I was so excited to finally see if any of our ideas about how we would stage a musical number came true... and best of all I got to go with Amber! It was so nice to sit before the show and reminisce about these times and see that I wasn't the only one who looked back fondly!

Well, I was a little worried about time, two full shows in one night seemed daunting, like I said I was feeling a little woozy, but I was trying to be optimistic! Amber and I went and bought CDs of Saturdays Warrior and White Star and I bought a score of Saturdays Warrior. Amber and I immediately made plans to have an old fashioned piano party to sing along to some of our favorites : Will I Wait for You?, Dear John, Line Upon Line and many more (do I sound like a compilation infomercial yet?)

I have to say, with the exception of the Jimmy and Pam, I was disappointed by Saturdays Warrior. It was rushed through, they cut some numbers completely and cut others in half. The continuity was gone and the actors didn't seem to have a hold on the choreography at all...I wasn't expecting much when the White Star started and I left very much suprised and happy. It was definitely amazing as far as sequels go- you don't think that I show like Saturdays Warrior needs a sequel but this completely dazzled me. I was laughing, I was crying, I was on an emotional rollercoaster and I loved it! I could now see why Saturdays Warrior seemed shlugged through- they spent the bulk of their time on the new show- which is fine, and perhaps with a little more touring another audience may have a better earlier experience than I did, but let me assure you- I felt like they made up for it in the end. The music was nice, but there was a number called Gentle Savior that kept reprising throughout the musical and every time it started I was in tears. The acting and story was phenominal, I strongly encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity and go if it comes to your town! Even if you experience the same disappointment that I did with Saturdays Warrior, you will leave feeling so enriched by the White Star! Its a great story of redemption and the cealing powers of the temple and the great work of family history that needs to be done! I left so inspired, I really want to get more involved with my family history now, especially because I know for a fact that much of the Winberg family work has not been done!

But on to the rest of my story- I left enriched! Enriched, but woozy...but I continued to move forward, I had a birthday cake to make! Austin's birthday party was the next day and I couldn't let him down, he was so excited about his Brownie ice cream cake! Amber and I had been reading through recipes earlier that day and when we came to the recipe title Austin's exact words were "Whoa mom....Brownies in an ice cream cake?! You don't need to look any more, that is what I want!" I had to giggle a little...it was so cute! So, I got home and began the task of making the brownie layers and softening ice cream. The cake was made at 2 AM, made but not decorated... and I had heart burn so bad I felt like it was coming out my ears, but I figured I was just tired and sleep deprived and in the morning I would feel better...yeah...right...because I'm that lucky.

About an hour later I was awake and rushing to talk to ralph on the big white phone (for all those of you who don't know what that means: PUKESVILLE!!!!!!!!) I cleaned up, mom (being mom) heard me and came to my aid and got me the needed anti-puke medicines and I went back to bed. After a fitful morning of sleep I awoke feeling like I'd been hit by a MAC truck. I used the walls as anchors and stumbled out the living room and the comfort of the couch. Now, I don't know if its just that mom used to lay us on the couch when we were sick so we'd be closer or what, but whenever I'm sick I always feel a need to lay on the couch as opposed to my bed... I called Amber and told her about the night's events and that the cake, albeit made, was not decorated. I assured her that I had washed my hands, hadn't licked any spoons, and that I was completely sanitary, also given the fact that the cake was in the freezer it should be frozen enough to be safe for human consumption. I told her that it wouldn't hurt my feelings if she didn't want to use it.

All I can say, is that this last few days, between body aches and grossness I have come to one giant conclusion- I am so lucky to have such an awesome mom! She left me to my own devices so I didn't feel like I was being a big baby but she also made sure to, in her own special way, make sure that she took care of me without me realizing how much she was doing. I've also been grateful to have a sister who is a nurse and has connections to doctors with magical pills that get rid of nausea...What I thought was a 24 hour flu bug has continued now for the last 4 days...and I'm still not better. I'm gradually getting there but I feel like there is an ice cream maker churning in my stomach and my head,neck, shoulders and back are still aching like I've been beaten by a herd of llamas....not that I've experienced that, but I'd imagine that if it happened, this is what I would feel like...

I keep thinking that getting sick was the last thing I needed. I have so much music to learn before I go back to Montana and I need to take time for it, but its difficult to learn music when you can't sit or stand longer than 30 minutes without getting dizzy...thank the Lord for the I-Pod... I also need to work- I gots bills to pay...but I'm going to continue with faith that I am going to have it all work out in the end.

Well, speaking of not being able to sit or stand for very long...I'm at my limit. But I love you all and I wanted you to know how grateful I am to have so many loving family members and friends who look after and support me!

Hugs and loves, and here is to the death of Killer Food Poisoning, FOREVER!!!!!!!!!


Tenise said...

I'm sorry you're sick. I hope you start feeling better soon.

But okay, Saturday's Warrior and the sequel. OH. MY. GOSH. I am so jealous. That was my favorite all through high school, and I just knew that'd be like Julie and Todd for me. Then, actually, it was, and it was really weird, because I'd always been told it's never really that way, but that's how it was for DH and I. So, S.W. has a sweet spot in my heart!

We just got the dvd a couple weeks ago, and it's my kids favorite. Especially my 3 year old. It's so cute to see her walking around singing "Pullin' Together" and her favorites, He's just a friend" and "Will I Wait For You?" (She's quite the romantic.)

I really want to see the sequel, I'm so glad you posted about it!!

Okay, maybe I should just post this anonymously, so no one knows what a Saturday's Warrior geek I am. LOL!

That cake sounds really yummy.

Again, I hope you start feeling better!

WrayFam said...

I'm so glad you didn't die. I hate the pukes. You know my phobia about it! I'm glad you are feeling better and I am so glad Zofran was a wonder drug for you as it was for me. :) Happy healing!