Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Easy Toddler Freezer Meal #1- Pigs in a Pillow

I have been feeling really badly that I have resorted to a lot of premade, preservative filled foods lately to feed my girls. Normally, I am all about making things from scratch, but with living with my mother in law and then moving all of a sudden to Rock Springs, I had started going with what was easiest...and a box of mac and cheese is a lot easier to throw together than a batch of homemade.

I decided that since I am starting to settle here in Rock Springs, I need to start finding some easy toddler freezer meals that I can have on hand so that I take one day of preparation and have several days worth of food that I can defrost and recook for my girls to eat later on.

This recipe is super easy, and while it does have one preservative filled easy food (hot dogs...sue me, my girls LOVE them. I am always guaranteed that they will eat every bite), it feels a little healthier in the way its dressed.

I give you Pigs in a Pillow:

For Dough:
2 TBS yeast
1 c warm water (not too warm, don't want to kill the yeast)
1/2 c sugar
(allow to bubble- the sugar feeds the yeast)
add
1 tsp salt
1/2 c butter
2 eggs
4 c flour (approximately- add it slowly 1 cup at a time- it makes the mixing easier- and just add enough to make it kneadable)

Mix until smooth. Allow rise about 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.  Roll into two rounds and cut into triangular slices (like a pizza) (Yes, you're making crescent rolls. If you really don't have the time to devote to making it from scratch, you can go ahead and buy a can or 2 of crescent rolls in the dairy/fridge section of your grocery store)

Roll the hot dog into the triangle, putting the wide section of the triangle against the hot dog and rolling it up so the point ends up on top.

Lightly grease your pan. Bake 350 for 12 minutes. (or according to package directions on crescent rolls)

Wait until cooled. Put them into a large Ziploc bag and freeze (they should freeze well for up to 3 months, but I doubt they will last that long) To rewarm them, lightly grease a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes at 350.

I wish I had made more. I didn't even get a picture of the finished product because we used the last of them today. Even my husband was impressed with them. It definitely beats hot dogs in a bun, and the added bonus is that (if you're like me and are a little overly cautious) they are easy to chop into smaller bits so your kids get the added bonus of a carb and protein combo to give them energy and keep them full longer, which means less "snack time" in the afternoon.

My skinny mini 20 month old eats TWO of these in one sitting because she loves them so much and my 10 month old (who is a VERY picky eater) chows down and eats at least 3/4 of hers...which is a lot for her.

Overall, if you're on the go its nice to have options you can feel a little bit better about.

Stay tuned for more toddler freezer/easy meals and snacks. I'm going to be testing more than a few recipes in the next little while. :)

Bon Appetit, darlings!

No comments: