Saturday, March 3, 2012

When is an A-line not an A-Line or why I miss Molly and Sammy

So...

I did it! I went and chopped off about 6 inches of hair.

Let me preface this by saying that the stylist did a really good job cutting my hair. So far it looks like everything is even and blended well...there's just one little problem...

The haircut I left with wasn't REALLY the one that I had asked for.

See...its cute...I will tell you the story, because you're all dying to know...but first...let me show you the pictures I showed to the stylist...


Can you see why I'm a little disappointed?
photo credit and original stylist of this look here...if she wasn't in Utah I would have looked her up...*sigh* maybe someday on the way through Utah we can visit her and she can work her magic on my head. Check out the rest of her blog, she's really talented!

Our initial consultation seemed to go well, she seemed to understand what I wanted...but looking back I think she only heard one phrase...

I'd mentioned that I had been trying to grow my hair out and had been afraid to cut it but knew that I needed to because I had baby #2 on the way...I needed to get real with myself was I think the way I'd put it.

I think all she heard was "grow it out" and "afraid" and didn't hear the rest...I don't think she even looked at the picture. When I told her I wanted a "rooster tail" (the little spikey pieces at the top of the head) she said, "Wow, that's going to have to be pretty short." and then she just kept cutting (notice that the rooster tail is NOWHERE to be found in the cut that I got...). I'm also convinced that the stacked a-line I described is more of a stacked bob with a-line tendencies...another small disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, like I said, it really is a nice cut, just not the one I asked for. She spent a lot of time cutting it and getting it perfect (in her eyes)...A LOT...I was kind of surprised by how much, she was double and triple checking everything, which I really appreciated (because I am so particular about my hair) but that also ended up being a double edged sword in the end.

I don't think she had managed her time very well...she spent a lot of time on the haircut, and I was paying for a shampoo, cut and STYLE...well, apparently running some leave in conditioner and then blow drying the hair with a round brush counts as a style...I was really disappointed... 

I won't lie, I'm never very thrilled with the way that stylists style my hair, I'm very particular about how I like things. I think I've only ever had 2 stylists style my hair and had me not walking out of the salon itching to get home and fix it. Needless to say, I came home and immediately plugged in my straightener and found my teasing comb. (The after pictures of me above are pictures after I had fixed the styling.)

I think next time (if I decide I like the shorter hair thing) I will go ahead and try to wait to make an appointment at this salon  in town a friend recommended. I tried calling for an appointment but I would have had to wait two weeks...when I'm amped for a dramatic change haircut, I have to go with it before I change my mind...I didn't want to wait 2 weeks and then go in for what would basically be considered a trim...totally not worth the $35 it would have cost...Its too short to be turned into what I'd wanted in the first place...I'll just have to let it grow out and when its time to trim it up I will try the other place to see if I get better results.

Over all...the stylist I saw today did give a good haircut...I just wish it had been what I asked for...

Oh well, my hair grows fast, Its not like its a disaster, its just not what I'd been expecting...

C'est la vie...in a week I'll either love it or hate it...

Hugs and loves until next time darlings!


No comments: