Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A New Appreciation

Jeffry and I got married in November, and since then we have been making do with two pink armchairs instead of a couch.

We had a couch, unfortunately, we have a very strange entry way and it wouldn't fit inside our apartment no matter what direction my dad and Jeff tried to push it in, no matter what angle...that was a sad day. That couch was fluffy, cozy, and soft...I had some good memories with that couch, I'd slept on it for an entire summer before starting graduate school. Kiersten and Joe were living with my parents too at the time and they had the spare bedroom- of course it was necessary because they had a new baby at the time...and one could fit easier on the couch than two. It was a good friend, and believe it or not, it was the best sleep of my life.

I was very sad, I almost wanted to cry as my dad dropped it off at the DI and Jeff and I tried to find a love seat that might possibly fit through our odd entryway...to no avail.

Then, there wasn't money...or a way to transport a couch...

So we made these two pink armchairs work...every time we'd watch a movie or play Wii with eachother one of us would say, "We need a couch." The other would nod emphatically...

Today we broke down...we went to ShopKo and bought a futon on sale. We spent $180 after tax...Of course, we could have gone back to the D.I. to try to find a cheap love seat that might fit, but we knew that a futon was guaranteed to fit and it wouldn't smell funny for be two days from the dump, we also couldn't find anyone with a truck that was willing to help us out...

It was an interesting ride back to our apartment from ShopKo...The Futon didn't fit inside the car...the mattress did (thank heavens) but the very kind customer service associate that helped us knew what to do. We apologized (a lot) for the inconvenience for him. I felt really bad, but he assured us this wasn't the first time it had happened and that we were a lot easier to help and deal with than most. He took the futon frame out of the box, Jeff bought some rope, and we tied it to the roof of the car...I was slightly frightened, but Jeff remembered all his boyscout skills and we made it home without breaking anything or losing the futon frame. (Score one for my man!)

Jeff was so proud of himself after he managed to put it together. He smiled from ear to ear and used his arms to showcase his work like a tall, skinny Price is Right model. "We have a couch!" He proclaimed. We both sat down and enjoyed his hard work.

I think so far its the best $180 we've spent. As a matter of fact, we are right now we are both sitting on it enjoying the closeness and ability to snuggle that we had almost feared we had forgotten.

Its so funny how we take something as simple as having a couch to sit on for granted. Jeff and I are all about appreciating the amazing-ness that is OUR COUCH!

Perhaps darlings we should all take a little more time to think about how blessed we are to have simple things like furniture.

I know one thing for sure: Jeff and I may be as poor as church mice right now, but things could be so much worse. We could have no roof over our head, we could have no furniture at all, we could have no food...

We are blessed darlings. Each and every one of us. Take some time to remember this, especially when things get rough. You may be in the middle of the mire, but there are still things to be grateful for.

Even simple things, like couches.

Hugs and loves until next time darlings!

No comments: